Friday 16 March 2007

when in Rome...

This one starts on February 22nd. I was on the plane, watching…. what was it again? Oh yes, the third matrix movie (don’t ask…. Air China) when the friendly stewardess passed and asked if I wanted some coffee. Me being a fan of (good) coffee, I accepted her friendly offer, only to find out that the coffee had a very weird smell and taste.
Anyways, I thought that this would have been quite predictable as coffee still is kind of new to China and I asked for tea from that moment on, which tastes heavenly here in China by the way.
Now this story continues… during these weeks here in China, I couldn’t but notice that whenever I smelled coffee, it had that weird smell that I remember quite well and that I encountered for the first time when my dear brother Navid once had gotten weird coffee cube samples from Colombia. Yes… individually packed little cubes of instant coffee.
While working at metaform in Luxembourg I got used to really awesome espressos and today I was craving the taste of good coffee. So after dinner, I decided to go to a starbucks, thinking that at least their coffee should not be the strange tasting Chinese coffee.
I got myself a large one, with hazelnut syrup (I really like hazelnut ;-)) and the moment I got it, there it was again! That strange smell from those Colombian coffee cubes!
How?
Does that mean that all the coffee in the world with that “defect” gets sent to China, the “coffee people” thinking that nobody would ever notice because the “tea people” of China don’t know it any other way?

There’s a starbucks in almost every block and I miss coffee :-p

6 comments:

bolha said...

forget coffee for a few months:) when in china...drink tea!:) by the way, have i told you that coffee here is really really good?;)

bolha said...

and...i know that you know that i know :)

Anonymous said...

the best coffe in the world comes from colombia

Anonymous said...

juan valdez anyone ?

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... even though i was partially involved in the opening of the first starbucks in china back in the days, i cannot figure how those colombian coffee cubes of mine got pulled into the mix. so for the record, i am not responsible!!

nav
/l,c.

Anonymous said...

Dude, the Finnish coffee....well, at least I drink it every day. I have started using oatmilk, it's pretty good. It might overcome the weird taste in your China-coffee.